top of page

Nonimmigration VISA Status

An immigrant visa is issued to a person wishing to live permanently in the United States. A nonimmigrant visa is issued to a person with permanent residence outside the United States, but who wishes to remain in the United States on a temporary basis for a variety of reasons (ie: tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work or study, etc). There are two types of nonimmigrant visas that require the involvement of Law Enforcement, U-Visas and T-Visas.

  • U-Visa: a nonimmigrant visa which is set aside for victims of crimes (and their immediate family members) who have suffered substantial mental or physical abuse while in the United States and who are willing to assist law enforcement and government officials in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity. It permits such victims to enter or remain in the United States when they might not otherwise be able to do so.

  • T-Visa: a nonimmigrant visa allowing certain victims of human trafficking (and their immediate family members) to remain and work temporarily in the United States, typically if they agree to assist law enforcement in prosecuting the perpetrators.

Individuals applying for either of these types of nonimmigrant visas must fill out the appropriate application through the United States Citizenship and Immigrations Service (USCIS).  

Each of these applications have supplemental forms (I-918 Supplement B and I-914 Supplement B), also known as Certification Forms, which must be filled-out by the Law Enforcement agency which investigated/prosecuted the matter. Any request made to the Bridgewater  Police Department to complete such a certification form must be made in-person at Police Headquarters. Applicants should follow the instructions on the above Web Site links, and bring all completed paperwork and necessary identification with them when they come to Police Headquarters.

bottom of page